- "You're afraid of gays?"
"I might be, yes."
- "You're not sure?"
"I don't know any gays. And that's suspicious, because one out of ten people is gay. Why am I avoiding them? It might be an unconscious phobia. All through childhood I..."
- "Is this really a problem?"
"Of course it is! In times like these it would be socially unacceptable!"
- "Right. Earlier you told me you knew very few people and you didn't have strong bonds with any of them."
- "Then some of these people might be gay, without mentioning it to you."
"They might be, yes."
- "Naturally, it's a very intimate subject."
- "So there's no need to blame yourself. You are politically correct.
An average person. You just don't have any friends who confide in you."
And so, with my mind at ease, I went back home. The statistics must be correct. But which of the people I know could be gay? Time to make a list: